-Put them in the microwave for a couple of minutes and watch as the microbes sizzle away.
-According a study by the USDA, microwaving for one minute significantly lowers bacteria counts and populations of mold and yeast more than other methods. Researchers have also discovered that after microwaving for two minutes, more than 99% of all the living bacteria will be dead.
It's a good idea to place at least a half-cup of water in the microwave with the sponge to be cleaned. This helps to protect your microwave emitter.